FIREWORKS WARNING FROM UFA:
July 1, 2020, Salt Lake City: The Unified Fire Authority (UFA) issued a fireworks weather warning today for the Fourth of July weekend and asks the public to take extra precautions when lighting fireworks during the holiday.
Weather for the rest of the week is predicted to be hot, dry and windy. Temperatures will be in the 90s, with winds between 20 to 30 mph and humidity as low as 10 to 15 percent. These conditions lead to a high risk of accidental fire starts from the usage of fireworks.
UFA urges the public to take every precaution when using fireworks during such conditions or to find legal opportunities to use them when these weather conditions do not exist.
Before lighting fireworks, UFA asks the public to review the interactive restrictions map found on unifiedfire.org and monitor the weather conditions to ensure they are doing so in an appropriate and legal area.
UFA also strongly encourages following the recommended safety tips:
1. Refrain from using any aerials if you are within 200 feet of an open area or grassy, brushy field
2. Read the cautionary labels before igniting
3. A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities
4. Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
5. Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear eye protection
6. Always have a bucket of water AND a charged water hose nearby
7. Appropriately secure any aerial fireworks before lighting
8. Never relight a dud firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in the bucket of water
9. Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down or placing in the bucket of water and then throwing them away in a metal trash can the next day
Featured Articles The Communities We Serve Twitter Instagram About Unified Fire Authority UFA is Utah’s largest fire agency with 680 employees serving over 400,000 residents […]